112. First, the granting of autonomy expressed through the principles of sovereignty and liberty Is a political decision by the government with a demonstration of political will, commitment and interest to implement through democratic processes.
113. Unfortunately, the Aquino government’s program of Cordillera autonomy Is a political tragedy when it stood pat on Its position of neutrality during the conduct of the plebiscite.
114. Second, the acceleration of socio-economic and political development cannot wait until regional autonomy is officially granted by the government to the Cordillera people.
115. Development of the region has been long overdue considering their long history of neglect and toleration of exploitation by the Philippine government.
116. Sad to say, the political events of the past two or three years have done so little by way of advancing the historic struggle of the Cordillera people through substantial economic and social projects in this region.
117. Third, recognition of the rights of the Cordillera people to defend their ancestral domain.
118. Work for the repeal of all laws which violate their territorial prerogative to their ancestral domain.
119. Fourth, recognition for their Indigenous culture, socioeconomic institutions, and political integrity as a people.
120. There are indigenous socioeconomic and political institutions and structures that are relevantly operational in the Cordillera region today.
121. Fifth, it has been observed that the international trend on autonomy for cultural communities blamed centralization as obstacle to development.
126. Juan Hernandez, Cordillera Administrative Region Treasurer, strongly argues that autonomy can succeed with strong financial base.
127. Ironically, the Cordillera region is very rich in natural resources but it remains one of the poorest regions in the country.
128. Decentralization of fiscal powers will require strengthening the taxing powers of the provinces and municipalities and revising the tax sharing system in favor of the autonomous region.
129. Seventh, the granting of Cordillera autonomy is a political decision on the part of the government. Therefore, it must be worked out with the Cordillera people.
130. Eighth, the realization of the Cordillera Autonomous Region calls for a genuine and sustained dialogue between the Cordillera people and various movements for autonomy In the region.
131. The struggle for Cordillera autonomy goes on.
132. Let us reach deep into our reserves of courage and determination.
133. Take heart from the wisdom and exemplary lives of our forefathers.
THE KALINGA VISION OF DEVELOPMENT
A KALINGA-APAYAO which is economically developed, progressive culturally, racially and tribally united, politically stable and judicially service-oriented where every Kalinga-Apayao citizen would be happy, vigilant, physically and intellectually healthy, contented, secured, educated and consider one another, whether immigrants or natives as real brother Filipinos and Cordillerans and above all, true brothers and sisters in Christ.
It is this vision of development which was developed by the province of Kalinga-Apayao which they believed will prepare and provide them concrete directions to their struggle for self-determination under the Cordillera Autonomous Region.
135. MUSIC 10 sec. (CREDITS)
136. MUSIC 10 sec.
137. MUSIC 10 sec.
(THIRD VIEW Production)
138. The struggle must go on -the struggle for a just and lasting PEACE.
139. SFX: People Marching
140. SFX: Gongs
The struggle must go on –the struggle for a just and lasting
WHAT IS CORDILLERA REGIONAL AUTONOMY?
Acceleration of socio-economic and political development in the region.
Recognition of the rights of the Cordillera people to defend their ancestral domain.
Recognition of the Cordillera people’s indigenous culture, socio-economic institutions, and political integrity as a people.
Autonomy would mean transforming the national fiscal power to the Cordillera region so it can generate its own fiscal capabilities.
The granting of Cordillera autonomy is a political decision on the part of the Government. Therefore, it must be worked out with the Cordillera people.
The Realization of the Cordillera Autonomous Region calls for a genuine and sustained dialogue between the Cordillera people and various movements for autonomy in the region.